Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Recycling Clothes

Dozens of these boxes have appeared throughout the township in which I live. People are being encouraged to put unwanted clothes inside. I don't know if the clothes are then sorted and given to the needy, or if the fabric is recycled.
I'm passionate about recycling, but I don't plan on getting rid of any of my old garments this way. In our house, anything that's no longer fit to wear becomes a floor rag. This cuts down on "trash miles" (the distance garbage is trucked before being burned or dumped in a landfill), and reduces the number of tissue papers we get through.

1 comment:

Boyd Jones said...

I have seen these boxes in northern Taiwan for years. My understanding is that the clothes are indeed recycled but I do not now how or for what final purpose (resold? given away? Etc.).