Friday, April 25, 2008

Beer Miles

More than once, I've heard foreigners in Taiwan decry the environmental carelessness of Taiwanese, and then head to a hypermarket or convenience store to buy beer that's been shipped in from North America, Ireland or Germany...

I minimize my beer miles by drinking the local stuff. Bottles are better than cans (for the planet, and in terms of taste) if you take them back to the store for reuse.

Look at a can or bottle of Taiwan Beer, and you'll notice a letter beside the production date: A, B, or C. The letter tells you where it was brewed. A is Miaoli County (just south of Hsinchu); B is Taichung County; C is Tainan County. My beer is always from C. I know the brewery, it's about 15 kilometers from my house. In terms of food miles, that isn't bad.

3 comments:

Cary said...

Brewed of course with those Taiwanese staple crops, barley and wheat. Not many food miles on those.

Cary said...

Brewed of course, from that Taiwanese staple crop, barley. Don't suppose there's any food miles on that.

The Burning Forest said...

True, some of the ingredients come from overseas, but the water and the packaging are local, and that's most of the weight.